Well, barley got me hooked. That's why I created a new, very simple barley medley. It's prepared in less than 30minutes and packed with proteins, fibers and good fats. Even though barley is not gluten free, this meal is free of any animal products and boosts your carbonfood-print. The added lemon juice further helps the nutrient (especially the iron) absorption and gives a refreshing note.
All in all, this recipe is just a slight adaption of my Sweet n' Sour Barley but yet another great meal to prep for the week. Of course, if you like to get a gluten free version, just replace the barley with buckwheat and Ta Da!
INGREDIENTS (1 Serving)
- 60g raw barley (soaked over night for easier digestion)
- 100g frozen green peas
- 60g Edamame beans (frozen, no skin)
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 lime, juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook barley with three times water (appr. 30 minutes)
- In the mean time, bring some water to boil and poor over frozen Edamame and let soak until soft
- Heat frozen green peas in a sauce pan, add some water if necessary.
- Peal avocado and cut into chunks
- Mix everything together, add lime juice, salt and pepper (other seasoning could be paprika powder, turmeric, basil, oregano etc)