Nowadays it's difficult to cook something which suits all the dietary needs. Your friends might be vegan, paleo, gluten free or can't have any nuts in their food. Well this amazing lasagna caters for everyone. It's gluten free, it's fully plant based, nut free and with a little twist it even suits your friends who decided to live like our ancestors, the cavemen.
It's the perfect side dish so that all your guest can dig in without any compromise on their diets!
The lasagna basically consist of three layers:
- Tomato-Spinach-Lentil Sauce (if you have paleo friends, just exclude the lentils)
- Creamy cheese sauce (without dairy, nuts or seeds)
- Sweet Potato slices
While you are preparing the lentil and cheese sauce, you can already pre-bake the sweet potatoes needed for the lasagna later. Peel three medium sweet potatoes and put them into the oven at 180C for about 15 Minutes. Then cut them into thin slices.
- 180g Green/Brown lentils, raw
- 400g Frozen spinach (you can also use fresh one)
- 500g Fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tsp Coconut oil
- 1 Onion, cut
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and glace onions
- Add lentils with 1.5 times water and let cook until the water is almost absorbed.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and let simmer with lid for at least 15 minutes. Stir through occasionally
- Add frozen spinach and let simmer without lid until all the liquid is absorbed and evaporated.
Cheese sauce without cheese
- 450g Potatoes, peeled
- 250g Carrots, peeled
- 120ml Water
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Lime, juice
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp paprika powder
- 1 garlic clove
- Steam potatoes and carrots in a sauce pan with a little bit of water until they are soft
- Blend all ingredients with a food processor.
- 3 Medium sweet potatoes, pre-baked and sliced
- Tomato-Spinach-Lentil sauce
- Cheese sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Cover a rectangular oven proof form (I used size 30*20cm) with half of your lentil sauce
- Use half your potato slices to cover the lentil sauce
- Top with half the cheese sauce and add some salt and pepper
- Continue with lentil sauce, top with remaining potatoes and finish with cheese sauce
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 45 minutes. Check whether potatoes are soft
If you want the lasagna to be less heavy, you can also replace the sweet potatoes with zucchini slices. I haven't tried this yet, so not sure about the baking time. But my guess is, that the baking time would be reduced to about 20 minutes.
Let me know if you liked the lasagna and tag me in your photos or posts. Feel free to leave me a comment.
Have a wonderful day