A plant based whole foods diet should be the basis of everyones nutrition - lots of vegetables and fruits, legumes, grains and beans, nuts, seeds and other healthy fats. If you come from a western country cheese and cold cuts are essentials for the breakfast table and are usually accompanied by some sort of eggs.
This vegan open-faced sandwich is the perfect plant based start into a productive day. The bread is a spelt-rye mixture and the olive paste gives a salty flavor. The Falafel provide the necessary proteins and fiber and with the avocado you get some filling healthy fats.
Falafel (10 small balls)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp spelt flour
- 1/4 onion, cut
- 1-2 gloves garlic
- 1 Tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tsp curry powder
- 1 Tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 150g pitted black olives
- 30g caperes
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 200g Spelt flour (whole grain)
- 350g Rye flour (whole grain)
- 2pck dry yeast
- 350ml lukewarm water
- 1 Tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven at 180 Celsius
- For the bread, dissolve yeast in water and mix everything together. Kneed until you get a soft dough. Let raise for 2 hours.
- For the falafel, drain and rinse chickpeas. In food processor add chickpeas with all the remaining ingredients and blend well. Form little balls with your hands.
- For the olive paste, put all ingredients in a food processor and blend well
- From the bread dough form a loaf and let raise for another 30 minutes. Then bake for about 45 minutes.
- Heat some coconut oil in a frying pan and roast falafel gently from all sides.
- Top a piece of bread with some olive paste, avocado and falafel. (you can also take a whole grain wrap instead of the bread)